Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Liam Neeson speaks the truth.

This interview with Liam Neeson, in which he discusses his grief over his wife's death, got me all teary-eyed this morning:

"I think I survived by running away some. Running away to work. Listen, I know how old I am and that I'm just a shoulder injury from losing roles like the one in 'Taken.' So I stay with the training, I stay with the work," he continued. "It's easy enough to plan jobs, to plan a lot of work. That's effective. But that's the weird thing about grief. You can't prepare for it. You think you're gonna cry and get it over with. You make those plans, but they never work."

However, as the actor explained, it only postponed - not prevented -- the pain from setting in from losing the woman he married in 1994 and had two children with.

"It hits you in the middle of the night -- well, it hits me in the middle of the night. I'm out walking. I'm feeling quite content. And it's like suddenly, boom," he said.

Well-said, Liam. I know that with my brother's death, I never had a "mourning period" during which I cried and grieved and got it over with. It's never over. Just like he says, it hits you when you aren't expecting it. One minute you're fine and you're not even thinking about it, and the next you're sobbing. And those random episodes of sudden grief never stop coming. At least, in my case, it's been eleven years now and they haven't stopped. And, frankly, I'm not sure that I want them to. I have many happy memories of Steve, of course, and thinking about him doesn't always make me sad. But I don't want to stop missing him.

Steve and me, August 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment