I stopped at PetCo on my way home from work this afternoon to buy an E-collar and some hot spot remedy for Achilles. The following conversation took place in the check-out line:
Adorable curly-haired girl of about five years old, sitting in the cart ahead of me: *points at E-collar* Why are you buying that?
Me: My dog has a sore on his tail, so he's going to have to wear this so that he can't bite it and make it worse.
Little girl: My dog doesn't need one of those.
Me: Well, that's a good thing. You don't want your dog to need one of these.
Little girl: *points at cutest Shih Tzu EVER standing next to her cart* That's my dog.
Me: That is a very cute dog!
Little girl: *points to a red spot on her arm* I got cat-scratched!
Me: Really? So did I! *holding up my arm so she can see*
Little girl: *looks impressed* My dad can kill a rat and a snake!
Me: He can? Well, I wouldn't kill a rat, but killing a snake might be a valuable skill to have.
Little girl: He can kill a wolf, too!
Little girl's mom: *laughing* Your dad has never killed a wolf. Her dad has never killed a wolf.
Little girl: But he can! Everyone needs to kill wolves!
*Her mom and I explain to her that there is no need to kill wolves because they don't bother people and are a valuable part of our ecosystem.*
Little girl: *points at her arm again* This is the first time I ever got cat-scratched!
Me: Really? I get cat-scratched a lot. I have a lot of cats.
Little girl: Well... you should... *pondering* ... you should never go near your cats.
Me: *laughing* I should never go near my cats?
Little girl: It's just too dangerous.
Me: You know, some days I might agree with you on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment