Friday, March 4, 2011

This week's care packages

I got so used to picking up items for Project 50/50 at the grocery store each week that I've decided to keep it going. I see homeless people every day on the way to and from work. There is not going to be any shortage of people to give these little goody bags to. One woman in particular panhandles in front of the Whole Foods almost every afternoon, and I always chat with her while I'm stopped at the light and give her some money when I see her. She has an incredibly sweet, cute pit bull named Ladybird.

Here are the bags I put together this week:


Each bag contains the following items:

  • antibacterial hand wipes
  • anti-perspirant
  • Pert shampoo + conditioner
  • body wash
  • lotion
  • Tylenol
  • band-aids
  • toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Chapstick
  • Kleenex
  • chicken salad and crackers
  • peanut butter and cheese crackers
  • club and cheddar crackers
  • two fruit and cereal bars
I will vary the items a little bit each week, but that's roughly what they'll contain. Of course, I also had to make a little treat bag for Ladybird. I explained to Achilles about the importance of charity and sharing his treats, and he seemed to understand. He did give me a concerned look when he saw me putting a bunch of his treats into a Ziploc bag, but I think he will eventually come to agree with me that giving is fun. Especially since he got an extra cookie out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment