130,000 women in Texas are suddenly without basic health care thanks to the defunding of Planned Parenthood and other clinics that offer free or low-cost care for underprivileged women.
Women seeking abortion in Texas are now forced to undergo unnecessary, intrusive, often painful, potentially triggering transvaginal ultrasounds prior to having the procedure. This is nothing more than a way to shame and intimidate women in an attempt to stop them from seeking and obtaining a legal medical procedure.
Women's contraception, and our access to it, is being debated in the year 2012. Birth control is up for debate, y'all!
This is not okay. None of this is okay.
I am attending these rallies to stand up and tell the world that I am not okay with this.
Today's rally had a noticeably higher turnout than last week's. The crowd was much denser and larger, and I was thrilled to see a much more diverse crowd than I saw last week.
There were also more dogs! I got to say hello to this one:

I also got to meet the charming and totally awesome @scATX, who was taking photos and interviewing attendees for RH Reality Check. I had the privilege of being her first interviewee, though I doubt I said anything profound or interesting enough to be quoted.
I made a new sign this week that said, "Reproductive rights are human rights" on one side and "Keep your probe out of my body" on the other. There were lots of other cool signs, such as "Republican birth control: Go screw thyself," and "Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries."
There will be one more SEEING RED rally next Tuesday, March 20th, same time and place (noon until 2 pm in front of the Texas State Capitol). I will be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment